Thursday, August 21, 2008

Part 1 Apple Head Doll Tutorial

Where o where is the rain? My yard looks like the Sahara desert, not to mention my allergies are killing me! They are making it hard for me to get the day to day things done let alone work on anything else. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better more productive day.
These dolls were played with by early American children. Long before Barbie hit the market parents and children had to be creative and make their own toys. They used things that they had readily available. An apple from a tree and some scrap fabric would provide a child with hours of entertainment. If only children today were so easily entertained. The book I have explains how to air dry the head, which I will share with you but I will also let you know how I did it. I was not willing to wait 3 to 4 weeks for the head to dry!
Early American Apple Head Doll Part One
Goodes Needed:
A firm apple such as a granny smith
lemon juice
spoon and knife
Let's begin by peeling our apple. Then dip the apple in your lemon juice. To carve your face; make the marks with your knife and then go back with a teaspoon and take out some of the apple. Make sure to carve the cheekbones higher and don't forget her ears. It doesn't need to be perfect! Remember this is a primitive doll.

To dry the head the old fashioned way; run a wire through it and hang it in a cool dry place for 3-4 weeks until it is completely dried out. Or if you are impatient like me place it in a 200 degree oven on a cookie sheet and dry out completely. Note: This took me several days to do. When I was home I turned the oven on and let it dry and I turned it off when I left. So be prepared to have your oven going for awhile.
To be Continued..............
I ask that you do not sell the directions to my tutorials. Feel free to share them freely with your friends as they were freely given to you. If you make these to sale online please give me credit for the original design.
Blessings,
Jill

3 comments:

Gettysburg Homestead said...

hehe I tried this once and didn't dry it right and the ants came and ate it. LOL. Maybe now I'll do ti correctly.

Mary

Dawn said...

Your apple doll reminds me of the yr. I was in charge of our annual Little House on the Prairie childrens games and project. If you are familar with Laura Ingalls Wilder living in Independence Kansas for awhile. We have a reconstructed log cabin, one rm. school house, post office and gift shop located on the actual site of her homestead. I did do a corncob doll, cross stitching and period games with the children attending. Your primitive cretions so remind me of her life. You are inspiring! Dawn

The Real Estate Talker said...

These are wonderful. My mom use to make these. My moms favorite holiday was Halloween and she would make these for the holiday
Blessings