Monday, August 25, 2008

Canning and a Wonderful Purchase

What a busy Monday I have had! I didn't get to do much in the crafting department because all my efforts went to canning today. I did get the rest of my Tansy cut and I went to the post office and did some errands. My mom and dad and I (well pretty much mom and dad) canned beef, apple pie filling and salsa. My favorite meal in the world is canned beef with gravy and biscuits. It doesn't get any better than that. Thought I would share the apple pie filling recipe with you guys; it came from a Amish cookbook. Apple Pie Filling
12 cups of peeled, cored and sliced apples (Golden Delicious or Grimes work best)
5 cups white sugar
6 T. Tapioca
3 cups Water
Mix together and cold pack for 15 min. Don't make jars quite full.
Note: To cold pack means to put the filling in the jars cold. Make sure you get plenty of the juice in each jar so that it will seal properly :)
Mom's Salsa


Mom & Dad's doggie Frieda!

Look what I got in the mail! Isn't it lovely? I purchased this wonderful baby quilt from http://www.auntpollysattic.com/ . I originally bought it to put on my coffee table but I just love the way it looks on my old pie safe door. It's so nicely made..........Thanks Teresa!


8 comments:

Angie said...

Jill, how I wish I would be able to can stuff! I am unable to have a garden where I live at least big enough one to make worth while. My mom canned when I was growing up. I am unsure what cold pack means in your recipe, could you elaborate for us canning for dummies??? LOL. Thanks for your help!
hugs, Angie

Gettysburg Homestead said...

That is a beautiful quilt Jill!

Oh the canned apples sound so good.

Mary

Rustic Goods said...

The apple pie filling sounds great! I love Grimes Golden apples, but they are hard to find in my area.

Angie said...

Thank you Jill for the further instructions. It sounds incredibley easy! I guess I just need to use my resourses!
Angie

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

That apple pie filling sounds so good. I have been making homemade apple sauce....m

Black Sheep Lisa said...

You are always busy with something!
I admire that, love that quilt.
I have an smile award for you, come by my blog!

KATHY OF SWEETHOME GARDENS said...

Jill, it looks as though your have another smile award.
Come on over!
Kathy

Aunt Polly's Attic said...

I love what you did with the quilt!!!! It looks wonderful there!!!

Teresa