Saturday, August 2, 2008

Back from Shaker Village

Shaker Village was such a magical place! It was so inspiring to see the simplicity of their lives recreated. There were so much to see! I took so many pictures that I will have to share them all in another post. I wish we could have saw everything but their were so many things to see it will take another visit there to get it all in. The food was divine. I was so hungry by the time we ate I didn't have time to take a picture. I dined on chicken and rice soup and corn sticks for my appetizer. The main course was a rib eye steak with roasted potatoes, green beans and rolls. I had ice cream for dessert. We ate by candlelight and enjoyed everything. They also brought us two shaker delicacies, salsify casserole and watermelon rind pickles. I was a little scared to try those but my sister tried the casserole and informed me it was similar to a potato. The following pictures are of the house we stayed in. We were 1/2 mile from the village totally isolated. Oddly my sister found a journal in the old secretary in the living room from several guests that had lodged in the house. The journal went back several years and several guests had documented seeing a ghost! Yes! A GHOST! Her name was Polly and she was a friendly ghost that was often seen in the room I was staying in no less. But thank heaven's I never saw Polly and she never made a peep!
The Tanyard Brick Shop


Dining Room







What awesome squeaky old wood floors!



The living room.............see the old secretary?





6 comments:

simple~needs said...

love the pics!! everything is so simplistic and beautiful!!
thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Hey~~
Glad that you had a great time!! Sounds like you really relaxed and enjoyed!! Good for you!! LOL!!!
Love your photos too! I am staying busy with my lights! Orders a bundle!! Shops are getting ready for there Fall Open Houses!!
I just wanted to pop in and see how your trip went!! Glad that you are back safe and sound!!!

Many Prim Blessings.........
Lori Hull

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Thanks for posting about your trip...a ghost eek! you are alot braver then me:)
Loved the pictures and can't wait to see more!
*Rondell*

KATHY OF SWEETHOME GARDENS said...

Jill,
So glad you enjoyed your visit...just loved the pictures and look forward to seeing the others.
Kathy

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Oh my word what an awesome place to stay. The simplicity of it all. Can't wait to see the rest.

Mary

Tammy said...

I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time. Such a short visit, you will have to go back. I love the pictures too. I just love things like that. Too bad Im surrounded by males. They dont much care for that stuff. I would sooo love to go though.