Monday, October 20, 2008

Faux Log Cabin How-To


I have been getting lots of questions about my siding on the house. I wanted to share with you all how to do it. This is a picture of my workshop it was built about two years ago using the same technique. My genius daddy came up with this idea of how to make my workshop look like a log cabin using inexpensive pine sheeting boards. I have had several people stop and they get out of their vehicles to look and feel to make sure if the "logs" are real or not. Then they always ask "what did you use for the chinking?". I always giggle and say "it's just wood". This is what my daddy came up with; he used 3/4" thick pine sheeting boards. I think we paid like .50 per foot or something like that. He didn't do anything to the wide boards but for the chinking he cut a wide board into strips about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide. We painted them white with exterior paint. You nail a board up and then a white strip and then a board and so on. I used a high quality outdoor wood stain on the wide boards. I discovered (or really sis and ma did) that if you stain over the white with your wood stain it looks better. Gives it a more aged look, I plan to go back and do this on the workshop. The key is to make sure you use galvanized nails......or your nails will rust and run down your siding! Hope this answered any questions any one may have had about the siding :)
We got the roof on the house today! And just in time as we are fore casted to get lots of rain this weekend. Hope you all had a wonderful day!
Jill

7 comments:

Suzi Q said...

Thank you for sharing the photo, your workshop is awesome, you have a VERY talented dad~ Many blessings & best wishes on your new home.

Raggedy Angel said...

Oh I love ideas like that! Will you be moving your workshop to the new house? Beh

simple~needs said...

i love the look!! yes, your daddy is a smart cookie!!!!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Your dad is a genius, looking at the picture I thought it was real logs. Glad you got the roof on just in time!
Rondell

Catty Wampus said...

That is awesome Jill; thanks for sharing; thanks for your reply to my question;) Have a great week!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

That is magnificent! What a fun place to work ~ sure to inspire creativity. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Blessings,
Lea

Black Sheep Lisa said...

LOve that idea!! Cant wait to see the house finished, i know you cant either! Your workshop is perfectly prim!!