Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dried Turnips and So on

Boy did we have a hot day today! Dad, hubby and I worked all day on the house. I can't believe how far along we have gotten.........considering it's pretty much Dad doing all the labor. We have all the inside walls up and the rafters up in the roof. Dad and hubby worked on the rafters in the roof today and it made me nervous just watching them. I hate heights and get weak in the knees if I get up high on a ladder. Hopefully we will get the roof on it next week if all goes well. Then we will have to take off for a few days for Dad to work.
Our county has been declared a state of emergency due to the drought. The newspaper said this is the worst drought since 1897 and the second worst ever in the state's history. Our county is buying water off a neighboring county but their are rumors going around that it is only temporary because they don't have much to spare for themselves. I am hoping for some rain very soon!
On a happy note I have been working on some new Christmas items. I wanted to share a pic of my Mom's dried turnips. I just love them! I will be offering them on Simply Primitives the 15th. I am so glad tomorrow is Sunday..........I have a birthday party to attend after church and then it will be a wonderful day of rest........hope you all have a lovely day tomorrow.
God Bless,
Jill

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh I wish we could send some rain your way. If there are farmers, must be hard on their crop.

Can't wait to see some of your Christmas creations. I am thinking about it but haven't started anything yet. I just finished my last Fall project. The next one will be preparing for Winter/Christmas.

Can't wait to see some updated pics of the house.

Are those real turnips? Never thought of drying these up for decorations. How creative!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Sandy :)

Catty Wampus said...

Hi; hope you are having a nice weekend; I am glad your house is coming along! I too, can't wait to see what you are making for Christmas! You are very talented; I did visit your sisters blog ; can't wait to see what she gets up to!

SimpleFolk said...

Goodness sakes, just the thought of being on a ladder makes me shake with fear! I have never liked heights (or bridges, or elevators... or clowns, lol). I'm sorry to hear about the drought. I'll pray that you'll get some rain, and soon. The turnips look so neat! Have a wonderful week. :-)

Amy

Pamela... Beehind Thyme Farm & Garden said...

So sorry to hear of your... major water probelm... hope all gets back to normal soon.

Love, Love your music selection... love that movie... "Walk The Line".

And those... there dried turnips... who would have thunk it. Love them too!!! Have to try that...

Have a Wonderful, Full AuTuMn WeeK ahead, Pamela

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

We got some much needed rain here last week...Blessings..m.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

We are getting rain here this weekend right now though we are having beautiful weather.
I to can't wait to see what you come up with for Christmas.
Glad your house is coming along.
Rondell