Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reduce, Reuse & Recycle

OK, so here's the deal. I'm sitting at home bored since the office was closed today. All my Christmas decorations are up, laundry's done so what's left to do? Well, I know everyone is probably so stinking sick of Christmas but this is the perfect time for this project. So when you are taking down your Christmas cards instead of trashing them reuse them. Odds are your coworkers, family & friends spent some good money on these why not recycle them so they can live again next year? For 2011 I am not going to bother making a resolution to lose weight......lol I always fail. Instead I resolve to be more frugal and to try to recycle and re purpose as much as possible.
You will need for this project: A straight edge and mat, rotary cutter, scissors, glue, old Christmas cards or other cards, blank cards and colored paper, ribbon, decorative edge scissors and a hole punch

Another reason that this is the perfect time for this craft is that all the Christmas ribbons and decor is 50% off at most stores. I found this awesome ribbon at the dollar store for .50! You can't beat that. This is so super easy you can make cards or hang tags. For the hang tags I just cut out the image from the card I wanted and glued it onto some colored paper. Then I just hole punched it and added a ribbon. Easy!
The cards are equally simple, cards nowadays are outrageous. A nice one can run you three to five bucks easy. I don't remember where I got these blank cards but I am pretty sure Walmart carries them. They come with a brown paper envelope. Same goes for them, just cut the image you want and glue it on, you can even cut the inside message out and use it. I just had to share this idea with you guys, now maybe you will think twice about throwing those old cards away ;)
Jill


3 comments:

~Judy~ said...

What a great idea! I had bought a to/from stamp at Michaels to make gift tags with for next year out of card stock and my Sizzix tag die. Your idea will come in handy.

Happy New Year!

Linda said...

Love your idea Jill.
I always feel so guilty throwing those pretty cards away.
Linda

Rabbit Hill ~ Handmades by Jenn Tavoletti said...

Oh Jill this is so funny because the snowman card was illustrated by my sister-in-law Anne!! What a small world. She will love what you've made of it instead of tossing it in the trash. I am such a big believer in recycling ~ I love it!
Wishing you a happy 2011.
Hugs ~ Jenn :)