Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gingerbread in a Jar




I know I know, It's like 100 degrees out and no one wants to turn the oven on! But these are so worth it. I saw these in a Paula Deen magazine a couple years ago and have been making them ever since. Who knew you could make cake in a jar? Who knew you could even can cake? But these last up to a year when sealed properly; and they make the sweetest most unique gifts. I am making a bunch of these now so I will have them ready for this fall.


Gingerbread in a Jar

1 T. melted shortening

2 1/4 c. all purpose flour

1 c. sugar

2 t. ginger

1 t. cinnamon

1 t. baking soda

1/2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

3/4 c. milk

1/2 c. melted butter

1/4 c. dark molasses

1 large egg beaten

1 t. vanilla


Preheat oven to 325. Brush 10 sterilized jelly jars with melted shortening. Place on a cookie sheet and set aside.


In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients with a whisk. In a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients. Combine dry with wet and mix well. Fill each jar a little less than half full. Bake for about 30 min or until knife comes out clean. If gingerbread rises over the top just cut off with a knife. Using a kitchen towel remove one jar at a time from oven, and carefully place lid and ring on each; screw lids on tightly. Cool jars on counter top. Once jars have sealed store in a cool dry place for 1 year.

5 comments:

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Jill you have the bestest recipes!!! I need to start a Jill cook book. LOL.

Mary

Raggedy Angel said...

Those are sweet in every way, thanks for sharing! Beth

Leslie said...

That is realy cool! I never knew you could make a cake in a jar and can it either! Very neat! Thanks for sharing.

SimpleFolk said...

Hi Jill! What an awesome idea! I have never seen anything like that. I may just have to try it myself, as well as the banana pudding. My grandma (from KY) used to make it everytime we visited and sadly, she died before I was old enough to think to ask for the recipe. I always think of her when I see it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and for the recipe! :-)

Amy

Something Nice and Pretty said...

What a neat idea! They would make great gifts for Christmas, thanks for sharing the neat idea:)
*Rondell*