Friday, February 6, 2009

I'm Back

Ice on My Spring Wreath
My Corkscrew Willow Tree full of Ice

The Barn

I am sure everyone has heard about the massive storm that hit Kentucky, as well as other states. The ice started pour down on Monday night but I had no idea what would follow the next day. On Tuesday we lost power, I was prepared with lots of bottled water and canned foods. I stuck my head out the back door on Tuesday night, the sound of trees breaking and snapping was such an ominous sound. You could hear them from far distances as well as close by. The next morning almost no one had power and it looked literally like a tornado blew threw. Trees and lines and electric poles down everywhere. On day two with no electric my MIL was lucky enough to have her electric on. So I went to her house to get a hot shower. The worst part of this whole ordeal was having to heat with a kerosene heater. The fumes were almost unbearable, we had to open a window to let fresh air in, even though it was in the teens outside. On day three or so I was starting to run out things, I had fixed soup on top on my kerosene heater and most of the things had ruined in my fridge. So I had to eat out a few times at the few places that were serving food. They were packed with long lines. We were lucky with one thing and that was that we had county water, most people who had wells had no water with no electric. They had to get water from creeks and streams just to flush their toilets. The nights were the hardest because I am a night person, but with no electric their isn't much you can see to do. Not to mention I was home alone mostly the whole time. That made it even more boring! I tried to busy myself of the day with some hand sewing and so on. I actually made a little sock doll and some stitched pillows. By day four my mom and sister had electric, so I went for another hot shower and checked my email. FINALLY on day five our electric came back on, I jumped up with glee when it came back on! Geeeeez I guess I am a little addicted to it. I like making early primitives items but I don't think I am cut out to actually live in the time. There are still people as of today that do not have electric so we are the lucky ones. I have spent the whole week trying to restock the fridge and wash the huge mountain of laundry.
Hope you all have a blessed day.


Backwoodsprim said...

I can relate...our power was off
16 1/2 hrs. the first time and then for about 6 hours the second time....
I know alot of folks are
still having a terribly tough time...without electricity and water both!
Glad to see you're back on again!


Anonymous said...

Hey Jill~~~
Good to hear that you and yours are safe and warm now!! I heard that you all got hit hard!!

I have missed seeing you!!

God Bless and Keep You.....

Tammy said...

Hey Jill,
I know y'all got hit hard, glad to see you back. Stay safe and warm.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Janet - underthewillow said...

Hello Jill!....I have come to your blog from your web site and just wanted to say that electricity is a wonderful thing and whenever we have had to be without it, I think how much I love and appreciate Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Edison! LOL....glad to see your's is back!....take care! Janet :)