Thursday, January 15, 2009

Home Made Doggie Treats



Boy oh boy is it ever cold out! Temps got down to -2 last night and we are expecting -6 tonight. Hope you guys are staying warm. I wanted to share my recipe for home made dog treats. My oldest dog Daisy has food allergies. When she was little her paws would itch and get red, she would constantly lick them. She also got little knots all over body. I finally figured out it was food allergies. I tried virtually every dog food and nothing helped, I even bought the kind the vet sells. Nothing helped, and Daisy seemed miserable. Thank goodness I finally found a dog food that agrees with her. It's called Nutro Natural Choice, and it sure was a life saver. All three of my doggies eat it and they coats are nice and shiny. I started making these treats because my Daisy can't eat most commercial treats either. Here is my basic recipe!
Home Made Dog Treats
2 cups whole wheat flour
parsley
1 egg
chicken broth
Mix the flour with one egg and a good pinch of parsley (acts as a breath aid) Stir in enough broth to moisten the dough to where it will hold together but not be sticky. Roll dough out on a board sprinkled with cornmeal. Roll to 1/4" thick and cut with cutter. Bake at 350 until brown and crispy. Treats can be stored up to 2 weeks in a zip bag or frozen.

7 comments:

Terry said...

I'll have to try this one too. I make one with peanut butter that my girl loves.
I had a Schnoodle who had allergies, and after researching food, I decided to make my own. Brown rice, chopped chicken thighs, and shaved carrots. Mix with a little water and warm in the microwave. After checking with my Vet, who said it was fine, I now feed our new dog Olive Oyl this. She does get dry Purina in the morning, but for dinner the brown rice mixture. She is crazy about it, and so healthy. I wish my hair shined the way her coat does. haha!

Terry

Pots 'n Prims said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe Jill! I make one similar, and also one like Terry, with peanut butter!
I'll have to look for that dog food ~ our inside dog is quite sensitive (AND picky!)..
Stay warm!
lisa

LoveThePrimLook said...

Thank you Jill !!! I am going to try these too.

Angie

Juanita said...

Jill
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I am sure my dog will thank you also! have a blessed day!
Juanita

Carmen S. said...

This looks like a good recipe for dogs with sensitive bellies, thanks for sharing!

KATHY OF SWEETHOME GARDENS said...

Oh Jill...I have been trying to get caught up on my blog reading and so glad I came upon this post.

We have a little boston who can not eat table food...she will break out on her stomach, crease where her leg joins her body and get hives... we have been buying a prescription food from the vet...but the price for one large bag has gone up to $91.

I have started feeding her potatoes and tuna.

I will have to give this a try.

Thanks so much!

Oh is that a bone cookie cutter you used?

Blessings,

Kathy

KATHY OF SWEETHOME GARDENS said...

Oh I forgot to ask where do you get the nutro natural choice dog food?

Kathy